Monday, May 14, 2012

Praise You in This Storm

This is my dear friend, Laura, and her Daddy, Doug.


I've known Laura for quite awhile now. She's one of those rare clients that becomes a friend. She also happens to be one of those rare clients who isn't angry when you're put on bed rest and can't shoot her wedding, but instead comes to see you at the hospital. She's that person. Who cares, prays, loves. She learned it from her Daddy.

Laura contacted me several weeks ago with a special request to take some family portraits. Doug's ongoing battle with cancer was proving to be a challenge and everyone wanted to make sure to spend some time together celebrating the family and what they stand for. I was honored to say the least.





I wanted to be sure to capture the essence of this family. And at the heart of their deep bond and commitment to each other is one thing. Jesus. So while other families played in the background, this family gathered together to hear their Daddy read from his most precious book. His Bible. I remember his little granddaughter shushed a barking dog passing by, because even she knew this was important.



I learned just last week that Doug went to be with the Lord. I was heartbroken for my friend. For her family. But celebrated with them in the joy that Doug is pain-free, perfect in His sight, in the glory of the Lord Jesus. How great a gift we have in His salvation in knowing that we will be reunited with those we love. Doug will be so greatly missed. I didn't know him as well as I did his daughter, but yet the few times I had the great pleasure of seeing him, he was warm, caring, funny. He greeted me like a family friend and made me feel loved. He made a deep impression on me in that short time, as a follower of Jesus, a man of strength and character, a husband, a grandpa, a Daddy.

And in typical fashion, Laura posted this song to her Facebook last week and I realized. She is her Daddy's little girl, through and through. His legacy lives in his family and I know he is being rewarded in heaven. Well done, good and faithful servant.

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

By Casting Crowns

2 comments:

  1. This one really got to me. What a gift for the family to have that memory of that day captured on film...so, that they can relive it when they look at their pictures. That man and the whole family have the light of Christ in their eyes. I am so moved and it is yet, another reminder to me, to have an attitude of gratitude in all things...especially the hard things. They will feel a great loss because they were gifted with a great love. Your friend is her Daddy's girl in more ways than one...her Father in heaven, looks down, feels her pain and holds her earthly dad in His safe keeping until she can hug him again...and he will be young and free of pain. What a homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just praising the Lord for this family's consistant and beautiful testimony of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Whether it be the mountain tops or the ever-present valleys of life, we can count on this family living out Joshua's motto "...As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!" They are true livers and doers of the Word and lovers of Christ.

    I count it such a privilege and inspiration in knowing them these many years. And now my prayers are for them once again to continue to experience that "peace that passes ALL understanding", because we KNOW God the Father has healed Doug and has lovingly drawn him close(r) to Him.

    Thank you Kathryn for sharing this extraordinary tribute.

    Affectionately,
    Tammy O.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips