Wednesday, July 31, 2013

You shot that where?

Several weeks ago, a guest blogger (well, two!) on the Hampton Roads Creative shared a little experiment they did on shooting locations and how you don't need much to accomplish a lot and that sometimes the most unlikely of places proves to be a perfect fit for a creative explosion. You can read more on their journey HERE.

This sparked a little challenge to myself to get out there and see what I could find and how I could turn "nothing into something." And while I was at it, it was a great opportunity for me to keep working my 85mm lens and continuing to hone in on that sweet spot. So, I called my trusty, gorgeous, Egyptian goddess go-to model gal pal, Nicole, and we hit the road.

First, we stopped at a corn field on a dead end side road we found. Nothing too crazy unusual, but I figured we would give it a go. Until, as I opened the door, a horse fly the size of a small cow descended on our car and beat us back inside with a stern warning that any exits of the vehicle would be met by dive bomb attempts and gnashing of killer horsefly teeth. So we left. And ended up here...



Nicole hopped out, assumed the position, and I clicked the first frame. THIS first frame.



Wow.

Yeah. This spot will work.







We hopped in the car again and decided to turn off down a dirt road with dead wildflowers (Dark Katy!!) and see what we came across. And found this...



Yes, that's a concrete slab in the middle of a dead wildflower field. Win. This made for all sorts of advantages (i.e. not trekking up to our necks in weeds with the bugs and nastiness of the world) and was probably an old home foundation from ages and ages ago. Nicole hopped up there, stared off into the distance and wham bam thank you ma'am, this was born:







Needless to say, Nicole makes my job kind of obnoxiously easy, and I'm pretty sure I could have tossed her in a dumpster with similarly stunning results, but all in all, it was a great day of play and experimentation and I highly suggest reading the HRC blog and challenging yourself to discover new places to get creative. It's refreshing, adventurous and can kick start you out of that creative rut in a jiffy. Thanks Nicole for always being so willing to come play with me!



 photo katysig_zps9f065155.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips