Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Importance of You

There are quite a few things going on in my life today...my daughter starts 5th grade today (holy cow!), I head back to work after months and months away during a difficult pregnancy and subsequent amazing maternity leave, and my little boys are 10 weeks old and heading to day care in about 45 minutes...needless to say, wowsa! It's a big day.

The importance of you has several meanings for me. One being that as a mother I have come to an understanding that it is vitally important for me to take care of myself, spiritually, physically, mentally, etc. in order to be the best parent that I can be to my children. Going back to work was a no brainer for me for that very reason. I am a good mom when I get to recharge during the day, doing something I love, and then run home to my family that I have missed all day. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say.

I also returned to my proper place behind the camera this past weekend to shoot an engagement session for a dear friend who has met her soul mate. The importance of you plays a vital role in photography, especially when it comes to portrait work. So many people get incredibly nervous (myself included) when stepping in front of the camera, and believe me, it shows! One of my greatest challenges as a photographer is softening the deer in the headlights look that often accompanies the first few minutes of a shoot.

Angela and Josh get the importance of you. They were so creative and really thought about who they are as a couple and what would share that with their friends and family as they announce such a happy step forward in their lives together. They aren't afraid to laugh, play and were such a blast to shoot. They came prepared with ideas and weren't afraid to try stuff on the spot. They also took time to go outside of the traditional portraits, or even the non-traditional portraits, to just play together. This is absolutely key to a successful shoot and frankly, it shows in the final product.

Anyone on the planet can see from these photos that these two love each other and enjoy every minute they spend together. There is nothing better as a photographer than getting to capture you being you. Congratulations Angela and Josh! I can't wait to share in your special day and am honored to be considered your friend and your photographer.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips