Friday, September 6, 2013

Quick Picks: Kindness is Contagious

Typical morning...just dropped off the boys at school and was battling traffic to work. I stopped at a yellow light in a particular area that is known to wrongly catch people with red light cameras because heck, with two young boys eating me out of house and home these days, I'm just not in the market for an expensive ticket, much less one I didn't earn.

I could immediately tell the woman behind me was annoyed with my "cautious non-bat-out-of-hell" driving techniques as she sported copious eye rolls and wrist slams to her steering wheel. "Hey, chica 'tude delight! I just saved you some money!" I thought.

Then I noticed the guy standing on the corner. His sign was simple. "Hungry." If you live in Virginia Beach, sadly you know that it's not unusual to see someone on the street corner asking for help. This particular guy stood out to me. He was particularly young and I don't know, he just stood out. As a woman, traveling alone, in this day and age, I typically avoid situations like this for my own safety, but something in my heart said "Go for it."

I rolled down my window and said "Excuse me, sir. I don't have any money, but I have a plum. Would you like it?" He smiled from ear to ear and said happily "Yes! Please!" and ran over to grab it. His voice was clear, his eyes were bright, and he looked genuine in his appreciation. As he walked back to the corner, he waved with a bigger smile and said "Much love!" and took a big bite.

That made my day. But you know what was even better? I could see the woman behind me in my rear view mirror watching the whole time. Suddenly, she started scrambling in her bag and trying to flag him down to give him something. She wanted to help. The light turned green before she could get his attention and she actually looked disappointed that it was time for her to drive. I can only hope she found another opportunity that morning to bless someone with kindness.

Kindness is contagious. It only took just a tiny moment to not only brighten that young man's day, but to also heal that woman's temper and replace it with a heart to help. Don't miss an opportunity to pay forward the blessings in your life. You never know the ripple effect it can have on those around you.

 photo katysig_zps9f065155.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips